Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fr. William Doyle: Victim of Reparation for Sins of Priests

Thanks to Fr. Mark Kirby for sharing more information on Fr. Willie Doyle, S.J.! It is no wonder that Fr. Doyle is one of the special patrons and heroes of the Cenacle of the Eucharistic Face of Jesus located in the Diocese of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Fr. Kirby and the present and future members of the Cenacle also have a special mission of "adoration before the Eucharistic Face of Jesus, offering thanksgiving, intercession and reparation for all... brothers in Holy Orders."

Some inspiring quotes of Fr. Doyle from Fr. Kirby's blog post:

"At Exposition Jesus spoke clearly in my soul, 'Do the hard thing for My sake because it is hard.' I also felt urged to perform all my priestly duties with great fervour to obtain grace for other priests to do the same, e.g. the Office, that priests may say theirs well." On the Feast of St. Teresa, October, 1914, there is this simple but eloquent record: "Last night I rose at one a.m. and walked two miles barefooted in reparation for the sins of priests to the chapel at Murrough (Co. Clare), where I made the Holy Hour. God made me realise the merit of each step, and I understood better how much I gain by not reading the paper; each picture, each sentence sacrificed means additional merit. I felt a greater longing for self-inflicted suffering and a determination to do more little things.'"

"God has chosen me, in His great love and through compassion for my weakness and misery, to be a victim of reparation for the sins of priests especially; that hence my life must be different in the matter of penance, self-denial and prayer, from the lives of others not given this special grace they may meritoriously do what I cannot; that unless I constantly live up to the life of a willing victim, I shall not please our Lord nor ever become a saint - it is the price of my sanctification; that Jesus asks this from me always and in every lawful thing, so that I can sum up my life 'sacrifice always in all things.'"

"During a visit our Lord seemed to urge me not to wait till the end of the war, but to begin my life of reparation at once, in some things at least. I have begun to keep a book of acts done with this intention. He asked me for these sacrifices, (1) To rise at night in reparation for priests who lie in bed instead of saying Mass. (2) At all costs to make the 50,000 aspirations. (3) To give up illustrated papers. (4) To kiss floor of churches. (5) Breviary always kneeling. (6) Mass with intense devotion. The Blessed Curé d'Ars used to kneel without support while saying the Office. Could not I?"

"This is my vocation," he notes on 8th February, 1917, "reparation and penance for the sins of priests; hence the constant urging of our Lord to generosity."

"The reading of La vie réparatrice (Canon Leroux de Bretagne, Desclée 1909) has made me long more to take up this life in earnest. I have again offered myself to Jesus as His Victim to do with me absolutely as He pleases. I will try to take all that happens, no matter from whom it comes, as sent to me by Jesus and will bear suffering, heat, cold, etc., with joy as part of my immolation, in reparation for the sins of priests. From this day I shall try bravely to bear all 'little pains' in this spirit. A strong urging to this."
From an earlier post, Fr. Kirby shared Fr. Doyle's beautiful Prayer for Priests.

Please take the time to read Fr. Kirby's post in its entirety (from which the above quotes were taken). If you are not acquainted with Father Kirby's blog, it would be well worth your time to get to know him and to benefit from all the excellent information and inspiration he has to offer.

Mary, Mother of Jesus Christ, Eternal High Priest, Mother of all priests, and our Mother, help us respond generously to the Holy Spirit's request, through the voice of His Church, to offer up to God Eucharistic adoration for priests. Amen.



1 comment:

pat said...

Those with an interest in Fr Doyle and his life and spirituality may visit the newly formed website www.fatherdoyle.com to find more material on his life and to read daily passages from his notes and letters.