Monday, June 22, 2009

Countless Priests

I am very much indebted to countless Catholic priests, beginning with the one who baptized me as a newborn. Then there was the priest who heard my first confession, the priest who gave me my first Holy Communion, the Bishop who confirmed me, the priest who witnessed my marriage--all major life changing,
Sacramental, blessed events. I can't forget the priests who celebrated the Masses I attended, consecrated the Hosts I received in Holy Communion, heard my confessions and absolved me of my sins, who helped bury my loved ones, who counseled and encouraged.
*******
This same pattern was repeated in my husband's life. Then, it started all over again with our children and grandchildren who benefit in the same ways by the ministry of priests. The priests from previous generations, who nurtured the faith of our ancestors who passed down the faith to us, must be included. The priests who educated the seminarians, who became the priests who touched our lives and ministered to us, are also owed our gratitude. The number of Catholic priests that any one family is indebted to is staggering and humbling! Only a loving God could provide so well for us.
*******
I haven't mentioned all the good priests who influenced, and continue to influence, the lives of all the people that we and our loved ones come in contact with or affected by in the course of our lives--the ethical civil servants and medical personnel, the dedicated teachers, the honest plumbers and merchants, etc., etc., etc. The list could go on and on. God is so good to us in countless ways!
*******
It is easy to take God's blessings for granted. In this special Year of the Priest, we are being given the encouragement and opportunity to make spiritual "payments" on our debt before God for so great a gift as the priesthood and the Sacramental blessings that are ours because of priests. Please, Lord, help us to not disappoint You!
*******
Mary, Mother of Jesus Christ, Eternal High Priest, Mother of all priests, and our Mother, help us to respond generously to the Holy Spirit's request, through the voice of His Church, to offer up to God Eucharistic adoration for priests. Amen.

No comments: