Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bishop Rene Gracida: Golden Jubilee Homily

"As the date, May 23, 2009, approached I was under increasing pressure from friends to permit them to organize a big celebration in observance of the 50th Anniversary of my ordination to the priesthood of Our Lord, Jesus Christ. Believe it or not, I am a shy person. Actually, I am an introvert. My Myers-Briggs personality profile is INFJ. It is only by the grace of God, given to me by the Holy Spirit, that I am able to summon the courage to speak before large gatherings. I nearly died of stage fright when, at Cardinal Deardon’s invitation, I gave the homily at the Mass for Youth in 1976 before 10,000 people just a few years after my Episcopal ordination.

"So, in 2009 I resisted all efforts to make my Jubilee an occasion of some big public show such as a banquet or even a Mass. Yet, I did want to give thanks to God in a celebration of a public Mass. So, on Saturday, May 23, 2009, I called the Rector of Corpus Christi Cathedral and asked him if he would permit me to celebrate the regular 9:30 parish Mass the next morning. He readily agreed and so I did appear unannounced and celebrated that Mass as my Jubilee Mass. The YouTube video shows the homily of the Mass. I have written this so that you will understand the bewilderment of the congregation when I announced in my homily that it was my Jubilee Mass."

~ Bishop Gracida, from his blog ~


Mary, Mother of Jesus Christ, Eternal High Priest, Mother of all priests and our Mother, help us respond generously to the Holy Spirit's request, through the voice of His Church, to offer up to God Eucharistic adoration for priests.  Amen.

No comments: