Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Indulgences for Faithful Departed Priests

Tomorrow is First Thursday when a special plenary indulgence may be gained for the Year for Priests. For more information on indulgences, check out the links below. Please consider offering any indulgences you might gain for the benefit of priest souls in Purgatory.

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque is quoted as saying:
"When I was praying before the Blessed Sacrament on the feast of Corpus Christi, a person enveloped in fire suddenly stood before me. From the pitiable state the soul was in, I knew it was in Purgatory and I wept bitterly. This soul told me that it was that of a Benedictine who had once head my confession and ordered me to go to Holy Communion. As a reward for this, God permitted him to ask me to help him in his sufferings.

"He asked me to apply to him all I should do or suffer for a period of three months. Having obtained my Superior's leave, I did what he asked. He told me that the greatest cause of his sufferings was that in life he had preferred his own interests to those of God, in that he had been too attached to his good reputation. His second defect was lack of charity to his brethren. The third was his all too natural attachment to creatures.

"It would be difficult to describe what I had to endure during those three months. He never left me and seeing him, as it were on fire and in terrible pain, I could do nothing but groan and weep almost incessantly. My superior, being touched with compassion, told me to do hard penances, particularly to take the discipline...After the three months I saw the soul radiant with happiness, joy, and glory. He was about to enjoy eternal happiness, and in thanking me he said he would protect me when with God."

Special Indulgence for the Year for Priests

All Souls Indulgence--Nov. 1st to 8th

Myths about Indulgences

Mary, Mother of Jesus Christ, Eternal High Priest, Mother of all priests, and our Mother, help us respond generously to the Holy Spirit's request, through the voice of His Church, to offer up to God Eucharistic adoration for priests. Amen.

No comments: